Who Made My Clothes?

When you're shopping do you ever wonder who actually made your clothing, what was the process to create that shirt or dress or jeans?
https://www.fashionrevolution.org/

This week there has been a lot of fashion revolution on social media. This revolution is coming from ethically made companies, since 5 years ago this past week was the collapse of Rana Plaza in Bangladesh. Rana Plaza was manufacturing garments for big chain stores such as Walmart, Joe Fresh, Mango, and Children's Place to name a few. How would you feel knowing that you are currently wearing something that someone died to make?

As I've said before I love Canadian fashion and because of this revolution many independents are asking via social media "who made your clothes?". This is to help brings some light onto the issue of everything being made offshore in conditions we have no control over. I personally love wearing clothing when I know who designed and made the garment.

I'm going to focus on two designers this time.

I saw that Birds of North America posted on her Instagram a picture with her professional cutter. This means that he is the one in charge of the fabric cutting for the garments. Her cutter, Carl is located in Montreal and they have been working together for 10 years. I find it amazing to see who is involved in the process of creating beautiful pieces, there is no "I"  in team. It takes so much to create something beautiful and most people don't understand that.

Second is Marigold MTL. She is based in Montreal and is an avid slow fashion advocate.
(Slow Fashion: the opposite of fast fashion, including good quality, clean environment, and fairness for both consumers and producers)
She is pushing for quality over quantity, which I find to be very inspiring to her customers. Her collections have bold patterns, but the silhouettes I find to be more transitional, either from season to season or from day to night.

As a whole we all own and buy too much which is obviously detrimental to the environment. So this Fashion Revolution movement is trying to make you think before you buy hundreds of dollars worth of cheaper clothing. Slow fashion is a great concept--my look at it is to have basics that are good quality and easily transitional with additional pieces that make an outfit pop.

I feel that actually thinking about what goes into fashion allows you to become more aware when shopping...even just thinking about all the environmental damage that is happening because of dyes and fabrics. Recently I read an article about the microfibers that come out of our clothing (polyester, nylon, spandex, etc) every time we wash them. These fibers get washed down the drain, fish ingest them, causing them to get sick, and could even be making us sick when we ingest seafood.

Look at labels before you buy, think of the conditions these workers spend their days in just to make your clothing.

-Cait xx

Comments

Popular Posts