I am a feminist.
Most people don't consider me a feminist because I don't hate men and because I don't post daily about feminism. Over the past few year it seems like feminists have gained an unfair rep of being a bunch of man haters, and yes, some do, but not all.
As a feminist I want equal rights.
I want to be paid the same as a man in the exact same position in the workplace.
I want women to not be concerned about being out alone in public places.
As a whole these are pretty basic wants in the world/life but around the world they are not always there. Canada in the big scheme of things is pretty good but still not perfect, I know that.
I've been in discussions lately about the fact that women are still not paid the same as a man holding the same position. The guy I was talking to argued that that's not true here...I had to pull up the stat that we make $0.74 to every one dollar a man makes. He still didn't believe me 100% but was shocked by this stat for sure.
In many countries women don't have decision power over their bodies or access to birth control...and that's wrong. In the wise words of Rachel Green "no uterus, no opinion" and the worst thing is that most of the individuals in control are men and have no idea what it is like to be a woman and what WE need.
Easy access to affordable birth control is necessary but the choice to have an abortion should be OURS. Pro-life is taking the rights of the individual in need away; if that is taken away then there will be a lot more medical issues arising. Women in first world countries will return to back streets or alleys to seek abortions.
Since I was a child I believed I could do anything a guy could. When someone assumes I can't lift or do something because "I'm a girl" I will go out of my way to prove them wrong. When I was 15 my older brother asked what I wanted to be when I 'grew up' and my response was CEO. He was confused and kind of shocked but I still aspire to be CEO maybe of a company or start my own who knows, but what I do know is I won't let the challenges of my sex affect what I want.
It makes me sad that there aren't more women in executive positions; women only hold 8 % of the highest-paid positions in Canada’s top 100 listed companies. We need to continue breaking the glass ceiling that is keeping us below men. I love supporting independent designers because most times they are run by ladies that are hustling harder than a man because they know they have to.
I can easily count on 2 hands the number of females I know that have experienced at least one incident of physical or sexual violence. This is not okay. The worst part is that most women that its happened to are aware that going to the police and reporting it will do very little. Why? because its his word against hers.
I'm not saying I'm super educated in feminism but I know that I am a feminist and I want equality. As defined by the Oxford Dictionary feminism is "the advocacy of women's rights on the ground of the equality of the sexes."
Think about this and how you can help in breaking down some of the barriers women face.
--Cait xx
As a feminist I want equal rights.
I want to be paid the same as a man in the exact same position in the workplace.
I want women to not be concerned about being out alone in public places.
As a whole these are pretty basic wants in the world/life but around the world they are not always there. Canada in the big scheme of things is pretty good but still not perfect, I know that.
I've been in discussions lately about the fact that women are still not paid the same as a man holding the same position. The guy I was talking to argued that that's not true here...I had to pull up the stat that we make $0.74 to every one dollar a man makes. He still didn't believe me 100% but was shocked by this stat for sure.
In many countries women don't have decision power over their bodies or access to birth control...and that's wrong. In the wise words of Rachel Green "no uterus, no opinion" and the worst thing is that most of the individuals in control are men and have no idea what it is like to be a woman and what WE need.
Easy access to affordable birth control is necessary but the choice to have an abortion should be OURS. Pro-life is taking the rights of the individual in need away; if that is taken away then there will be a lot more medical issues arising. Women in first world countries will return to back streets or alleys to seek abortions.
Since I was a child I believed I could do anything a guy could. When someone assumes I can't lift or do something because "I'm a girl" I will go out of my way to prove them wrong. When I was 15 my older brother asked what I wanted to be when I 'grew up' and my response was CEO. He was confused and kind of shocked but I still aspire to be CEO maybe of a company or start my own who knows, but what I do know is I won't let the challenges of my sex affect what I want.
It makes me sad that there aren't more women in executive positions; women only hold 8 % of the highest-paid positions in Canada’s top 100 listed companies. We need to continue breaking the glass ceiling that is keeping us below men. I love supporting independent designers because most times they are run by ladies that are hustling harder than a man because they know they have to.
I can easily count on 2 hands the number of females I know that have experienced at least one incident of physical or sexual violence. This is not okay. The worst part is that most women that its happened to are aware that going to the police and reporting it will do very little. Why? because its his word against hers.
I'm not saying I'm super educated in feminism but I know that I am a feminist and I want equality. As defined by the Oxford Dictionary feminism is "the advocacy of women's rights on the ground of the equality of the sexes."
Think about this and how you can help in breaking down some of the barriers women face.
--Cait xx


Comments
Post a Comment