Curating Your Social Presence

Authenticity.

You want to show who you are, what you do, and where you're at in your life via the lovely form of social media (instagram specifically).

But through all this you still get to decide what you put out there. Everyone I believe hides a little bit of themselves on social media because there are aspects of your life maybe you aren't ready to show the world yet.

I feel like in the past two years I've curated my relationships or non-relationships on the realm of social media.

I curate this because I feel its safer to hide who I am with or am not with than to show it to the world. If I show it to the world then if it ends then I'll need to explain to what happened...don't want to do that again..

It isn't unheard of to hide certain parts of your life because it can be too much to lay everything out on technology. Vulnerability is great because its relatable and you are like everyone else, but it can put stress on the aspect you may want to keep to yourself for a little while.

I'm not saying I'm not authentic. I'm saying I curate my social media until I'm ready to release whatever to the world.

Its great to be able to connect to your followers and chat about common interest but as a whole its not anyone's business but your own what you do. As cliche as it is "assuming makes an ASS out of  U and ME".

I suffer from anxiety but rather than only talking about it on my social media, I'll mention it but I've realized when I'm super anxious Instagram is a horrible place to turn to. Right now I've been extremely anxious so I'm aware I post very little when I get like this because I don't care enough to put 100% feelings into a post or just half ass it. So I just take myself out of the situation for a bit.

When individuals are ready to share the whole story they will, but until then let that part be a mystery, no one likes being questioned on things that they are clearly trying to keep to themselves. It took me a long time to release on social media I suffer from anxiety. Why? I honestly don't know but I didn't feel the need right away. I learned how I deal with it before anything else.


What are your thoughts on curating social media?

-Cait xx

Comments

Popular Posts