Why Not Buy?
So I have mentioned in the past that adulting can be difficult, some of the items on the adult to do list aren't always crystal clear to say the least.
Over the past few months I have been looking into buying a condo. I have gotten very tired of renting and feeling as though it is a waste of money, as well never quite making it my own because I know after a year or two I'll be moving somewhere else. As a person who is anxious, stability is something that I strive for because if one or two aspects of my life are stable then the parts that aren't aligned don't feel as bad.
I understand that most 20-somethings do not have the luxury to buy their own place, I know I am very lucky to have been on the deed to my late grandmothers farm. This past summer we sold the property, therefore, I can afford a down payment for a condo with a mortgage.
So about three months ago right after Easter I met with a realtor, which I HIGHLY recommend if you are looking into buying a place.
Realtors don't cost you (the buyer) anything! They are an amazing resource for anything and everything. They make a profit by the commission split from the seller.
The realtor will sit down with you and discuss what you want. I came prepared with a list of needs, wants, perks, and no's.
Some might think needs and wants are the same when looking for a place but the difference is how flexible you are about the different condos/houses.
Needs:
Following this you can gauge if you like the realtor or if they understand what you're looking for. I was lucky and my realtor was on perfect track with what I wanted. You pretty much interview realtors to ensure they have your best interest i
n mind.
My realtor put my needs into a higher tech system that would then email me every time there was a listing in the area I wanted, with my budget as well.
My realtor: Amelia Grich
So the listings started to come in and I'd either want to see it or not.
Tips: bring a friend with you.
I later saw another loft condo that had put the bedroom in the crawl space. First off, the ladder was super sketch. Secondly, you'd have to cut off my knees in order for me to get to the bed. So this one was not super ideal.
I saw a two bedroom garden level one and thought it could work, then I started doubting everything and getting a tad overwhelmed. At this point, I discussed it with my mom and she said she would come visit for the weekend to see some units with me.
So with my mom I saw 3 very different units. One had a massive bedroom but super small kitchen/living room. Second was interesting but the bedroom was super in the open and the unit didn't get that much light which was high on my check list. Lastly, I saw the one I made an offer on. This one had a good open concept; large kitchen (for a condo), a walk in closet, a tube, and a lot of light.
After the viewing we went to grab a coffee and discuss. At this point my very indecisive self had made the decision that I thought I wanted to make an offer. I texted my realtor and told her at this point they needed to start drafting up the offer to present to the seller. With my moms help I got through all the housing/ legal jargon and electronically signed this offer that my realtor would take to the seller the next day.
The following day I got a call from my realtor saying that my offer had gone through and was accepted! YAY! I'm going to be a condo owner! Now came even more documents to read & review before everything goes through. I also needed to set up an inspection to ensure that the unit is in tip top shape.
I'm going to end this off here.
Will discuss more about the move and all that jazz soon!
-Cait xx
Over the past few months I have been looking into buying a condo. I have gotten very tired of renting and feeling as though it is a waste of money, as well never quite making it my own because I know after a year or two I'll be moving somewhere else. As a person who is anxious, stability is something that I strive for because if one or two aspects of my life are stable then the parts that aren't aligned don't feel as bad.
I understand that most 20-somethings do not have the luxury to buy their own place, I know I am very lucky to have been on the deed to my late grandmothers farm. This past summer we sold the property, therefore, I can afford a down payment for a condo with a mortgage.
So about three months ago right after Easter I met with a realtor, which I HIGHLY recommend if you are looking into buying a place.
Realtors don't cost you (the buyer) anything! They are an amazing resource for anything and everything. They make a profit by the commission split from the seller.
The realtor will sit down with you and discuss what you want. I came prepared with a list of needs, wants, perks, and no's.
Some might think needs and wants are the same when looking for a place but the difference is how flexible you are about the different condos/houses.
Needs:
- Light--I wake up to the light and vitamin D is def my bff
- A bigger bedroom since currently my room is an office
- A closet since I don't have one right now
- Washer/dryer in building
- Decent neighborhood
- Washer & dryer in unit
- Appliances included
- Storage (interior & exterior)
- Metro
- Balcony
- Walk in closet
- Parking Spot
- Air conditioner
- Basement
- Loft/studio
- Bid wars
Following this you can gauge if you like the realtor or if they understand what you're looking for. I was lucky and my realtor was on perfect track with what I wanted. You pretty much interview realtors to ensure they have your best interest i
n mind.
My realtor put my needs into a higher tech system that would then email me every time there was a listing in the area I wanted, with my budget as well.
My realtor: Amelia Grich
So the listings started to come in and I'd either want to see it or not.
Tips: bring a friend with you.
- this is hella overwhelming for anyone
- two sets of eyes are better than one
- if this person has lived with you before even better (thanks Thomas <3)
- they might think to ask different questions since you're more in ahhh because you're going to buy a condo
I later saw another loft condo that had put the bedroom in the crawl space. First off, the ladder was super sketch. Secondly, you'd have to cut off my knees in order for me to get to the bed. So this one was not super ideal.
I saw a two bedroom garden level one and thought it could work, then I started doubting everything and getting a tad overwhelmed. At this point, I discussed it with my mom and she said she would come visit for the weekend to see some units with me.
So with my mom I saw 3 very different units. One had a massive bedroom but super small kitchen/living room. Second was interesting but the bedroom was super in the open and the unit didn't get that much light which was high on my check list. Lastly, I saw the one I made an offer on. This one had a good open concept; large kitchen (for a condo), a walk in closet, a tube, and a lot of light.
After the viewing we went to grab a coffee and discuss. At this point my very indecisive self had made the decision that I thought I wanted to make an offer. I texted my realtor and told her at this point they needed to start drafting up the offer to present to the seller. With my moms help I got through all the housing/ legal jargon and electronically signed this offer that my realtor would take to the seller the next day.
The following day I got a call from my realtor saying that my offer had gone through and was accepted! YAY! I'm going to be a condo owner! Now came even more documents to read & review before everything goes through. I also needed to set up an inspection to ensure that the unit is in tip top shape.
I'm going to end this off here.
Will discuss more about the move and all that jazz soon!
-Cait xx



Comments
Post a Comment