Meal Prepping Like A Pro

As mentioned before I love meal prepping. It saves so much time during the week and for me I find it relaxing.

I know some people will portion everything at the same time but for me I usually will do it the night before work just because I might change my mind on what I want to eat. This is why I try to make enough variety that I have choice when it comes to my meals.

The way that I live/cook is to ensure I have a protein, lots of vegetables and usually a light carb.

Here are some of my favourite meals to cook that last well in the fridge and re-heated!

Chili: I love chili in the fall and winter, its easy and is super high in protein! This year I started switching out meat and using sweet potatoes in it. My recipe comes from this cookbook!
 
Roasted Veg: I have a new love for roasted veggies! I've started using cauliflower and broccoli a lot more and tossing them with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, cinnamon, and ginger. Cooking them in the oven for 25-30 minutes at 400 degrees. At that point broil for max 5minutes, this allows them too crisp up more.

Roasted Sweet Potatoes: Every few weeks I will roast sweet potatoes with olive oil, maple syrup, cinnamon and ginger. It is literally what fall tastes like... cook at 350 for about 20-25 minutes.

Roasted Chicken: Since meat is sooo expensive for a few month I lived off of tofu as my protein. Although a few weeks ago my mom suggested buying an whole chicken since it was cheaper than 2 chicken breasts! So, I roasted my first chicken with some lemon juice and herbs in the oven for about 2 hours. I was so impressed with myself! I was able to use the chicken in salads or as a main for dinners.

Slow Cooker Pork RoastA few years ago I found a recipe for a pork tenderloin but can be adapted to any kind of roast really. Its super easy to to do while cooking other parts of the meal. (I'm a huge fan of multitasking in the kitchen)

As a student sauteed veggies and rice/quinoa are easy and delicious so usually I make some to be able to throw into anything.

So here are my staples then it comes to mixing and matching. For lunches I bring a mason jar and layer it with a carb (rice/quinoa or sweet potatoes), veg, and protein. I also pack snacks--2 apples, a banana, berries, and a muffin (carrot or pumpkin) if I had time to make them on the weekend. 
Every other day I try to bring a large spinach salad where I through I little bit of everything into it. I make my own dressing with olive oil, balsamic vinegar and maple syrup.

Meal prepping saves time and money. If you think about it when you meal prep you know exactly what is going into your food which is better than all the processed food there is now. I always feel better when I eat healthy and homemade compared to eating out.

I hope you take the time and enjoy some of these! If you have any recipes you love send them my way, I love trying new ones!

-Cait xx





Comments

Popular Posts